Friday, September 28, 2007

28 Sept 2007 - Montfort Sec Sch Essays


These are some essays which our boys wrote. The title of the essay was: "The things which make me proud of my school"

1. L.S.D, Secondary 4E5, 2007

There are many things in my school which make me proud of it. Here are some of them. We have a lan gaming centre which is called "Valor@Montfort". There is a cafe next to the General Office known as "Cafe De'Mont". We also have a porgramme every Wednesday and Friday called the Mass Workout.

The thing that I love most about the lan gaming centre is the terms and conditions. Sutdents have to finish all their homework if they want to use the centre. However, even finishing your work is not enough. You have to get an approval and sigature from your teacher on an admission card which allows you to enter the gaming room. This wound ensure that discipline and homework go hand-in-hand with enjoyment. The "Valor@Montfort" creates a better learning experience becaue it helps me to work hard and play hard. This makes me happy and proud because finally the school understands the needs of the students.

Yet another thing which makes me feel porud is the new cafe. The "Cafe De'Mont" sells snacks and drinks which I like and not only that, I can study or watch performances by talented students in my school. This makes learning more relaxed and enjoyable. It is a kind of "chill out" place for students who have worked real hard for the day. IT also allows teachers to realx here after a hard day of marking and teaching.

We also have something called the Mass Workout. This is when we get up earlier in the morning at 8am every Wednesday and Friday. We do exercises conducted by Mr Faizan, our Head of Physical Education. Funky music is played to get everyone into the mood. This programme was initiated to get students to be more alert and energeised for their lessons to come. This would make students less taciturn and more zealous for classroom lessons.

All the programmes my school introduced makes me glad to know that my school actually takes so much time and effort to think about ways to engage us better. It makes me feel that they really care for our needs. Not only has the school made learning fun, they have also made school experience more enjoyable. That is why I am proud of my school.

2. ML, 4E2, 2007

I am proud of my school for many reasons. The main reason is that I am proud of the history of my school

Montfort Secondary School is named after St Louis Marie de Montfort. It was founded in 1916 and run by the Brothers of St Gabriels. The school was built at Upper Serangoon school next to the 126-year old Church of the Nativity. Although most of the school buidlings are no longer there, the very first building of the school still stands today. This gives me a tremendous amount of pride whenever I travel past the place.

Since moving to our new school premises in 1991, there have been many changes. Now, our classrooms are air-conditioned for the comfort of our schools. This suits the hot climate of Singapore very well. Our huge school hall is also air-conditioned through the sponsorship of an old boy of the school. We have activities and programmes in the hall without having to bear it in the stifling heat. The most wonderful aspect of our air-conditioned comfort is that our school fees have remained the same. We pay only $13 every month. I am therefore very thankful and proud to be a student of Montfort.

Another special thing about my school is that we start school at 8:30am apart from the other schools which starts at about 7:15 am. This ensures that the students would not be late for school. They would be able to take their breakfast before school and spend good quality time with their parents before they leave for work. This also saves the hassle of councillors who have to deal with latecomers.

Our school has such a long history and I am very proud to be part of it. We have been Badminton National Champions for seven years in a row. And of course, there are also so many other co-curricular activities which have reaped in so many prizes, medals and trophies to fill up our trophy display cabinet.

Recently, our school just opened a brand new gaming centre which was the hot topic of discussion amongst the students for a few weeks. Fully equipped with I-Mac Computers, the gaming centre attracts many students. Students have to purchase tickets the day before and allow their respective teachers to sign on their tickets. This ensures that students finish their homework and prevents them from skipping their co-curricular activities. After every one hour of gaming, the students have to rest for fifteen minutes with eye massagers or by just looking at the numerous plants placed around the room.

These things would not have been possible if not for our Principal, Mr Simen Lourds. We are currently in the midst of "Flight 36K@Montfort" which brings the schol to greater heights. Mr Simen is the most interesting Principal I have ever seen. Which principal in the whole of Singapore cooks curry for the whole school?

Well, of course, it would have to be our very own Principal! He never fails to entertain us during assemblies by singing, playing the guitar, telling jokes and most memorable of all, telling us about his life story. I must agree that he is undisputably the best Principal ever. This makes me proud to be a Montfortian!

These are the many things which make me proud of my school. The history of the school and the daily happenings in school never fails to excite me. I would gladly tell my other friends and family members about how great my school is. And this is the school where I hope I will one day return to contribute as an alumni member when I grow older.

No comments: