Monday, January 7, 2008

Passing of Mr Lee Mui Song

Mr Lee Mui Song, our former Discipline Master, Geography Teacher and NCC Commanding Officer, passed away on 6 Jan 2007. He passed on from cancer.

He graduated from school in 1956 (Form V) and taught in the school from 1958 to 2002. He had more than 44 years in service as a teacher in Montfort. He was educated in Montfort and spent all his working life as a Montfortian. He would have joined Montfort in 1946 as a student and spent more than 56 years as a Montfortian.

Always humble, hardworking, discerning and compassionate, we remember him in our prayers.

A eulogy and memorial was held for him in school. The morning began with prayers, followed by a special assembly to remember Mr Lee.

It was a tearful and sad farewell. After Mr Yeo delivered his introduction, Mr Simen addressed the students and tried to control his sadness, pausing several times to find composure in bidding farewell to Mr Lee. This was followed by several eulogies to Mr Lee.

1. Eulogy by Mr Charles Phang and Mr Seah Kok Woei

Mr Phang and Mr Seah recalled Mr Lee as a disciplinarian who was always fair and moulded their characters as the discipline master of the school. They never smiled much but he cared very much for his students. He also brought students on Geography field trips and taught them that "If they believed in themselves, they would see it"

Every Chinese new year, he would also collect canned food from students. After the new year, when everyone was home early after the Chinese new year celebrations in school, he would visit the Old Folks Home to visit the home with Montfort School's contributions.

2. Eulogy by Mr Tan Thoh Cher.

Mr Tan Thoh Cher was several years Mr Lee's junior. Mr Tan penned his reflections and titled it 'A Man for Others'. He called Mr Lee a Man for Others because he was the livewire in the staff room. In the lounge, he would always talk to teachers, encourage them, support their endeavours and offer advice to new teachers. The most touching moment was when Mr Tan mentioned that after Mr Lee left, the staffroom lounge was never the same again.

3 Eulogy by Mr Edmund James.

Mr Edmund James reflected on Mr Lee as a colleague. Always cheerful, jovial and wise in his ways, Mr Lee loved his students and his school very much. He served in many capacities in the school as netball teacher-in-charge, as NCC master, as discipline master, as teacher as a true contributor to Montfort.

A special board was also set up to display the highlights of Mr Lee's career. He received a PBM and BBM, achievements given only to those who had contributed much to the nation. If he were in England, we would have to address him with the title 'Sir Lee Mui Song'

(The PBM and the BBM are two public service awards given to those who have contributed much to the people of Singapore, or the grassroots. It is usually awarded during the National Day period. The PBM is the Pingat Bakti Masyarakat, or Public Service Medal, while BBM stands for Bintang Bakti Masyarakat, or Public Service Star. The BBM is a higher award.The Public Service Medal was instituted in 1973 and the recipient may be anyone who has served the public commendably or has distinguished oneself in the field of arts and letters, sports, the sciences, business, the professions or the labour movement. For instance, you may be awarded the PBM if you have held an appointment in a grassroot organisation for a number of years. The award is usually decided by the advisors to the grassroots organisations, usually the MPs, who will consult other grassroots committee members.If you continue to serve for more years and keep up your contribution, say, by holding a more responsible position (chairman of the CCC, for example), you may attain a BBM. The BBM was instituted in 1963.)

In the afternoon and evening, our school leaders, teachers who knew him and many old boys visited his wake at Blk 337, HG Ave 7.

Eulogy

delication

This post is delicated to Mr Lee Mui Song, Geography teacher/disclipine master in Montfort Secondary while I was there from 1998-2001. Mr Lee passed away on 6th Jan due to cancer and his wake will be held on blk 337, hougang ave 7.

Dear Sir, I still remember when I was sec 3 that time, you scolded me for doing something not right. Even though you didn't teach me before, you knew I was one of the good student in school and when I made that mistake, you didn't hesistate to correct me in a harsh manner. Even after I left school, sometimes I do see you around in the neighbourhood and it's something that I will never encounter again. There and then, I heard you retired and inside I really wished you were going to do something that you hoped to do; you mentioned about being a farmer. When I heard that, I was young, I didn't understand, but now I do. I'm sure it's something closely related to your first love, Geography.

Sir, I'm not good with words, please forgive me if I couldn't describe you in a better way possible. I'm very sure your teaching will stay with me for years down the road. I promise to become a better person, and will contribute to the society whenever I can, as you have done over these years.

Farewell, Sir
Chua Ziwei http://siansianla.blogspot.com/2008/01/delication.html

My Eulogy of my beloved teacher amd mentory
Mr Lee was my history teacher when i was in the class of 3 Arts 1 and 4 Arts 1 in 1987/1988.
I can never forget how he inspired me personally in history c lass. He always brought history to life with his vivid analysis and interpretations of the various epoch of Southeast Asian history.

His dedication and passion would later on inspire me to top the subject in class and school for my Sec 3.I also achieved a distinction for O levels. It was Mr Lee who gave me the love of history - he taught us that one should never forget his roots - and keep my passion going (I would also score a distinction for my A levels)

Mr Lee was also a patriot and his love for his country and his experience during the tumultuous years of our nation building led him to become a fervent activist at the grassroots level. He understood that every contribution, no matter how insignificant, will play a part in the creation of a good living environment.

Although I have met him only occasiona.ly along the streets over thesxe 20 years, he always had a special place in my heart as a revered mentor, teacher, listener and spiritual fater.

Montfort has lost a distinguised son who had given 44 years towards the grooming of Montfortians. My heart is deeply grieved and saddened with his passing. May our Lord bless this great man who had given much to the pedagogical cause of Montfort

mr Lee will live eternally in my memories and I shall never forget that such a great man had once guided my path and set my feet on the right way of righteousness.

Farewell Sir, till we meet again in the presence of Lord Jesus.

In fond memories,
James Tan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr Lee's passing is of great lost to all montfortians who knew him & were taught by him. I am deeply sadden by his passing. Thank you Mr Lee for all the knowledge you imparted to me. God bless your soul.
Edmund Lim Hong Zhao

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Lee, you will be missed by all ex-montfortians and i'm no different. Recalling the times when he taught us and caned us. It is something that we will remember with all our hearts that you always have the welfare of ours in your heart. Greatly missed!

Anonymous said...

I am deeply saddened to hear of the passing of a great teacher. I never realized the chance meeting with Mr Lee at Hougang Plaza in Feb 07 after 19+ years was the last I would see of him. I had the privilege of being taught by Mr Lee Mui Song during my years of 1988-90. I will always remember him as an inspiring, knowledgeable, caring form teacher and mentor. Mr Lee saw the good in all of us despite the mischievous antics & rebellious nature of our Normal Stream class. Many other teachers would have easily forsaken this naughty bunch of school boys then, but not Mr Lee. He sought to inspire in us the impact of our actions, cajole us with his words of wisdom and motivated us with his actions and his beliefs.

I remember his caring side when he was a TIC of SJAB, he came back in the evenings to check on the well being of the cadets while we were having a camp. He bought along snacks & fruit juices to supplement our limited rations. They were a welcome sight after a hard day of training :-) The second episode was the pep talk by him immediately into the start of our graduating year when we do our O levels. Irregardless of whether we were academically inclined or not, he reminded us to live by the spirit of our school motto "Age Quod Agis"

Some of my classmates & myself have went on to achieve bigger things in our own lives in no small part guided by Mr Lee Mui Song in our formative years. For this, I am eternally grateful to our respected and revered teacher. Thank you Mr Lee. - Aldrin Chen Huang Ping aka "Botak Head"

MuGGs said...

I was totally in shocked when my friend notified me about Mr Lee's death. I was in his geography class (3S2 and 4S2)from 1997-1998, and I could still remember the way he held his classes. Although he appeared strict most of the times, his classes were pretty enjoyable !

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]alle wetter[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]www wetter com[b][/url]