Monday, April 28, 2008


MONTFORT SCHOOL 92ND FOUNDER’S DAY


It is indeed my privilege and honour to be invited to our school’s 92nd Founder’s Day celebrations. Its been more than 30 years since I left the School. My 10 years here have given me lots of pleasant memories which I still share with my 3 kids, the youngest being 16 years old. I actually taught my children to sing our School Song.


The Montfort School that I knew did not have all the modern facilities that you all now enjoy. But trust me, I had as great a time as a student as all of you here today. Modern facilities and air-conditioned classrooms do not make a school – these are just the hardware. What makes the difference are the teachers, parents, students and most importantly the values that the School represents – these are what I would call the software.


Since I left Montfort, I have kept in touch with some of my schoolmates whose children attended the school. I have also been involved in some of the School’s fund raising activities, and I know that Montfort continues to impart the great values and all rounded education that I enjoyed in my days.


Unlike all of you, when I first attended Primary 1, I did not even know my alphabet. My parents do not speak English. They had little formal education. My Dad was from China and worked as a clerk. My Mum sold soon kueh at Serangoon Gardens wet market. Some of your parents would probably know her cos she made the best soon kueh around. They would usually be sold out by 10 am. Mine was indeed a very humble family.


I spoke only Teochew, with a sprinkling of colourful Hokkien which I would only use only on very special occasions. I stayed in Hougang for the first 15 years of my life. English was never spoken at home. Hence, the China man accent that I still have today!!


Where I am today, is due largely to the strong foundation and guidance which I received from my teachers and the Brothers of St Gabriel. The theme for this year’s Founder’s Day is “Thanks be to our Lord”. As we give thanks to God, we must remember those whom God places in our path to guide us and lead us. I “Thank You” – Montfort and all my teachers.


At Montfort, I was taught not only the maths, sciences, languages and other academic subjects – I was also equipped with strong core Christian values which formed the cornerstone of many decisions in my life.


Don’t get me wrong. I had my fair share of scuffles and fights in school. I was probably sent out of class more times than any of you!! One of my favourite and most memorable spots in school was the place behind the church where we settled our differences by slugging it out until the discipline master came along. Those were fun times and what memories are made of.


When I completed my secondary 4 education here in Montfort, I was one of 2 from the school who decided to go to National Junior College. NJC was the first and only junior college at that time. I must say when we went to NJC we were pitted against the best in Singapore – that was the real test of a Montfort education.


I am pleased to say that both of us did Montfort proud. We were awarded Colombo Plan Scholarships to study overseas. I took up engineering in New Zealand. I should add that without this scholarship, I would never have been able to afford a tertiary education. The scholarship was truly a blessing. I am grateful that I am blessed with a Montfort education that helped pave the way for my scholarship.


Now you may wonder how an engineer ended up a lawyer?


It is only by the grace of God that I was offered another scholarship to read law when I was a young civil engineer of 4 years. It was a daunting move – from a predominantly science background which dealt mainly with steel and mortar, to one involving humanities.


I took up the challenge as I always remember our school motto, "Age Quod Agis" which means "Do well in whatever you do." This guiding principle is something which I hold close to my heart even to this day. I have no doubt that the 10 years of education in my formative years was instrumental in giving me the confidence to take the leap.


This is a motto which exemplifies our school and what it represents. It is something that I would ask all of you to hold on to dearly. Let this be a guiding principle in YOUR lives.


During my time, our school had one of the best school bands in Singapore. Our soccer, badminton and softball teams were also amongst the best. That was over 30 years ago.
I am pleased to learn that this tradition to “Do well in whatever you do” has continued. This year, Montfort won the National Badminton Championships B & C Divisions. Our students emerged the e-gaming champions in the National competition. We have a Wushu national gold medalist and a student representing us in canoeing for the pre-Olympics event.


There will always be challenges in life. To Do Well, you will need hard work and perseverance.
Our school motto calls for us to “Do well in whatever you do”. This is not measured by how much you earn. It simply means doing your best in WHATEVER you do.


When you do well, do it not only for yourself, but also for your parents, your loved ones, your Alma Mater and your Country.


As you Do Well, never forget your roots and those who helped you along the way.
Maintain your friendships. Friends will be the ones you need as you venture forward in life. I still play tennis every week with friends I made 30-40 years ago.
I would like to conclude by inviting all of you to remember our School Creed which is the Prayer to St. Louis Marie de Montfort. In this prayer, we pray for:


Faithfulness and Integrity
Care, compassion and filial piety
Wisdom and discernment
Loyalty to the Alma Mater and the Country.
You will all Do Well, if you strive as best as you can to uphold these values.
May God bless all of you.


Mr Tan Chee Meng, Senior Counsel
Guest of Honour, Founder’s Day
26 April 2008

No comments: